Sunday, March 17, 2013

Math Analysis Reflective Blog Post

Reflective Blog Post:
1. How have you performed on the Unit O and P tests?  What evidence do you have from your work in the unit that supports your test grade (good or bad)?  Be specific and include a minimum of three pieces of evidence.
On the past Unit O and P tests I have performed very well. Even though I could have done better in reaching higher quiz scores for the concepts I was very confident going into these tests due to the extra work I did, such as the PQ's and PT's. To also grasp the understanding of some of the more tougher concepts I also attempted in completing extra practice problems that were available. I feel like without the WSQ checks I have been doing the same and still feel on task because I complete my work as scheduled on the WSQ chart.

RESPOND HERE:

2. You are able to learn material in a variety of ways in Math Analysis.  It generally follows this pattern:

→ Your initial source of information is generally the video lessons and SSS packets followed by a processing and reflection activity via the WSQ
→ individual supplemental research online or in the textbook before class
→ reviewing and accessing supplementary resources provided by Mrs. Kirch on the blog
→  discussion with classmates about key concepts
→ practice of math concepts through PQs
→ formatively assessing your progress through concept quizzes
→ cumulatively reviewing material through PTs
→ Final Assessment via Unit Test.

Talk through each of the steps given in the following terms:
a. How seriously do you take this step for your learning?  What evidence do you have to support your claim?
 Make sure to make reference to all 8 steps.

  • I take this step of watching the video lessons, filling out the SSS packets, and WSQ, very seriously because in order to basically learn the concepts these three steps are what it consists of. If I don't complete these steps I know that I will be so confused in knowing what to do in these concepts which is why it is important that I make sure to complete each of these steps knowing that it will benefit me in the end.
  • Honestly, this supplemental research online and in the textbook are something in which I don't take advantage of. I feel like just by completing what is required I have enough knowledge to go on and figure out the concept for myself. I could make more use of the internet when stuck on a concept but I choose to just discuss with my group members and if not ask Mrs. Kirch for help.
  • Reviewing and accessing the resources provided by Mrs. Kirch on the blog is very helpful and necessary to my learning in this class because it helps further my understanding about each concept. For instance, if I am stuck on a concept I am able to refer back to the blog for extra practice videos or problems and learn how to do the problem. This is a critical part to my success in this class because this is always where I refer to, to become more informed of what I am learning. It is a source where I go to for extra help and extra practice.
  • Discussion with classmates is also a very imperative part to my learning in this class because this is where we all are able to share shortcuts and knowledge about what we have learned. This is a very important step in all of our learning processes because we can share out loud with each other and learn each others way of doing things.
  • The PQ's are also a very imperative part of my learning in this class because when PQ's are done in class it is required that we seek help from our group members and even Mrs. Kirch. This is very helpful when learning new concepts because when we learn a new concept we start our practice problems and are able to ask for help when I get stuck. This is important to my success in this class because I am able to ask for help when I need further explanations of concepts.
  • Quizzes are also a part of my learning process that helps me succeed in this classroom because it is important that I assess my self so that I know where I am struggling at. These quizzes are very significant in my learning also because I can ask questions and feel confident about what I am doing, so that when the chapter test comes I am able to score high and know what I am doing.
  • Reviewing things in my PT are also very important in my learning because when doing my PT I am able to review and get extra practice in. This part is very important in my learning process because it gives me an overview of the whole unit, with problems of every concept, so that by the time the test comes I am able to complete every concept on my own.
  • The final unit test is another assessment of my knowledge learned throughout which tests my skills. This is an important part of me learning in this class because I am able to put everything I have learned to work and finally put everything together. Obviously, this is a test of all my knowledge which helps me once again to review and see how well I am doing in each unit.

b. How could you improve your focus and attention on this step to improve your mastery of the material?  What specific next steps would this entail?  Make sure to make reference to all 8 steps.
  • I think that in order to improve my focus and attention on this step of completing the sss packets and wsq is that I should manage my time more wisely. Managing my time is very important in this case so that I can spend more time on this step and think things through thoroughly. The specific steps that this would entail is making sure that I am not distracted so that everything gets done with maximum effort. 
  • I could improve my focus and attention on this step of researching online and what not is that I should actually make use of the internet. I feel like I don't make use of it as well as I should, which can really help me if I do need further help. 
  • I could improve my focus and attention on this step of accessing the blog to improve my mastery of the material by actually making time to search for more sources. I feel like I use the blog well enough already to help my mastery of the material which does help me a lot. The specific steps that this entails is that I spend time actually looking up resources to help me master this material. 
  • The discussion part with my classmates can be improved by engaging more in these discussions myself. I need to make more of an effort to explain myself and share my knowledge with the people around me. I just need to focus more on making an effort and improving myself to actually discuss things with my peers. 
  • The PQs we have to complete can also be improved by making sure I make use of my time in class. I need to make sure that each day in class I don't waste my time, rather I need to make use of my time so that if I need help with a concept I am able to ask questions. The steps that this would entail is that I need to be able to make sure that everything is completed on time and I don't fall behind. 
  • My quizzes can also be improved by again managing my time wisely. I need to make sure that my quizzes should be taken a day after we learn each concept so that I have time to retake if there is something in which I see I am struggling with. This is important in my mastery of the material because I need to know and make sure that I understand everything before taking the unit test. 
  • To improve my focus and attention on doing my PT's I feel like I need to make sure that this actually gets completed as I continue on through the process of learning the entire unit. Instead of leaving the practice test to the last day before the test, I feel like completing it as the time goes on it is important to my mastery of the material. This allows me to ask questions as well and seek help where ever I am stuck on. 
  • I think my focus and attention for this step, the unit test, is pretty good the way it is because I do prepare myself and take time to actually study. I make sure that I am confident in every concept that is needed to complete the test before entering class on test day. This is very important to me so that I can succeed in this class and learn more. 
RESPOND HERE:


3. Reflect on your learning this year thus far by considering the following questions:
a.  How confident do you generally feel on the day of a Unit Test?  Give evidence and specifics to back up your answer.
On the day of a Unit Test I feel very confident because I make it a point to make sure that I am confident in solving problems from each concept. I make sure that I am prepared and ask questions before the test so that by the test day I am very confident. I also feel like with all the extra practice I complete it is hard not to feel so prepared and this has really helped me feel confident in what is on the unit tests.

b.  How well do you feel you have learned the math material this year as compared to your previous years in math? Give evidence to support your claim.
I feel like this year this new version of teaching math has been a great experience. As compared to my previous years in math I feel like now math is more of a class where we discuss and explain things with each other. I love that we now learn things on our own and this year it has taught me how to interact more and become involved in learning math. I have learned a lot in this class, beyond just simple mathematics. I have learned how to communicate and explain verbally how to explain concepts that we learn. Also, I feel like I have learned so much by how much time this flipped classroom gives us to ask questions and get help.

c.  How DEEPLY do you feel you have learned the math material this year as compared to your previous years in math?  Give evidence to support your claim.
I feel like this year I have been able to understand math on a deeper level. For instance, I have learned how to create my own math problems and tie them into what we are learning. I have also been able to explain and learn how to better my communication skills about math. Now, math is much more than just solving problems and learning step by step processes like previous years. It is now something in which we throw in all the things we have learned to create and communicate our understanding of the things we learn.

d.  Do you normally feel like you understand the WHY behind the math and not just the WHAT/HOW?  Meaning, do you understand why things work, how they are connected to each other, etc, and not just the procedures?  Explain your answer in detail and cite specific evidence from this year.
Now that I have been apart of this flipped class room for this school year I feel like I do understand the why behind math rather than just the simple steps taken to solve the problems. It is easy for me now to pay attention to this important question because in math analysis it is not about the what and how. This class enables us to think more and think of the why by allowing us to communicate and share our knowledge with each other about each of the concepts. For example, in each unit we are required to learn we complete discussions within our groups which I feel help us discover the why in the concepts. I also feel like the blog posts that we do for some of the units/concepts allow us to also discover the why and further our knowledge about whatever we are learning. 

e. How does your work ethic relate to your performance and success?  What is the value of work ethic in real life?
My hard work ethic inside and out of class is very reflective to my performance and success because I make it a point to have each concept mastered before entering the test day. Meaning, throughout the entire unit I complete as much practice as I need to understand the concepts in each Unit. If  I have trouble with a concept, I then refer to my group and ask for help until I understand and am able to feel confident. Making sure I master the concepts and everything explain my work ethic well because until I feel confident and strong in doing a problem on my own, I take advantage of the practice provided so that I expand my knowledge and understand it well before taking the test. 


No comments:

Post a Comment